[or-roots] Row River Row

rowriver at aol.com rowriver at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 17:11:07 PST 2012

Les,

If you can find copies of the Oregon Historical Quarterly Vol. 77,  No. 4 ( December 1976)  through  Vol. 79,  No. 1 (Spring 1978) you will find a series of articles on the Free Immigrant Road and the Elliot Cutoff  by Leah Collins Menefee and Lowell Tiller titled  "Cutoff Fever."

It is an account of the attempts of local Lane County residents to survey and build a toll free road from Lane County to the Oregon Trail and the exploits of the Lost Wagon Train of 1853.

Some of my Clarks were involved in the survey and road building efforts as well as others being members of the Lost Wagon Train.  The Lost Train was comprised of some 1,000+ people and 215 wagons.

Interesting stuff.

Stephen Clark