[or-roots] (Rev) William Boyd Moore

Pearlsoup at aol.com Pearlsoup at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 15:47:14 PST 2012

Linda,

Often, in the census, women preferred to list themselves as widow when it
was really a divorce. One of my relatives did, and the story was, her husband
came home with fancy underwear for the maid who was there while the wife
was recuperating from childbirth. Family rumor is, he married the maid after
the divorce. One of my own grt grandmothers, at the age of 29 had her first
child out of wedlock and was listed in the census as Mrs. Spencer when that
was her maiden name. : )

Linda,
Beaverton, OR