[or-roots] Logging camps in western oregon

Janet Valade janet at janetvalade.com
Sat Jan 28 16:24:27 PST 2012

Since several people here seem to have researched and have materials on
Oregon logging camps, I thought I would ask here about my grandfather.
His name was Joseph Bauman. He was a logger in 1914 and for some time
before that, but I don't know how long. He was a logger in 1922 and
probably for some time after that, but I don't know how long.

He and my grandmother lived in Rainier Oregon (Columbia County). They
are in the 1920 census there, with my mother and uncle. He and my
grandmother divorced in 1922. I assume he worked in a loggin camp
somewhere near Rainier, but I'm not sure since I know he was gone for
work for periods of time, at least sometimes, and not returning home
every nite. I know he was working somewhere that he didn't come home
every night in 1922.

He was born in 1870 in Germany. He died in 1943 when he was living in
Rainier. At that time, he had a shoe repair store. He living other
places in between. I have his obit, but it's not that helpful.

So, I thought I would put this out there, in case anyone researching
this stuff ran across him or had some useful references.

I also wanted to let you know that I have a book called "Homes in the
Oregon Forest: Settling Columbia County, 1870 – 1920". It's the
chronicle, with pictures, of a group of families who were loggers in
Maine. They came as a group to log in Astoria, Milton Creek Valley, and
inland Columbia County. Deer Island. The family I am interested in is
Emerson. Other names are Perry, Corliss, Howard, Briggs, Daggett, and
others. If anyone thinks there might be information for them in this
book, I'll be glad to look it up.

Janet Russell Valade