[or-roots] Plain Dealer

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 10:04:41 PST 2013

Robyn; I find it interesting you posted something from there as i recently wandered back into the Rondeau family and happened upon an item in said paper which inspired me to do a general search of that paper on teh Oregon Historic Newspaper site;

http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/

I found a couple of very interesting things that way including the answer to why my niece's great grandmother remarried in 1905; it turns out she was a widow. Just to confuse things since I found a text transcription of the article in the Oregonian I am going to post that here;

Morning Oregonian. (Portland, Or.)  February 17, 1904
KILLED BY CAVE OF EARTH.
Miners on Starveout Creek Meet Sudden Death.
CANYONVILLE, Or., Feb. 16.(Special.)
Frank Weaver and Marcell Rondeau,
formerly of Canyonville. were killed at 2
P. M. yesterday at Starveout, a mining
camp 15 miles south of Canyonville. by a
bank of earth caving on them. Both were
married and comparatively young. They
were working in the Pat O'Shea placers
on Starveout Creek.

the above led me on a wild goose chase trying to pin down the actual location of his death since it is in the GNIS data base as Starvout and so I didn't find it by querying Starveout. Picky of them.

now Layne shows us how much census information there is at the archives and I know I won't live long enough to feel like I have all the answers to my genealogy questions by at least a hundred years.  Oh well.

Les Chapman