[or-roots] Staying Vigilant - cameras

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 19:02:22 PST 2013

Another option if you happen to be buying a flatbed scanner or have some money to burn is the light version of adobe photo shop. If spending money is not an option you might try Picasa though I think it is a lot less user friendly than Adobe, but maybe I am just prejudiced because I am familiar with the latter.
The reason I mentioned purchasing a scanner is I have gotten two or three different versions of adobe bundled with scanners I have purchased. Getting a $70 dollar program bundled with a ten dollar scanner was one of my better deals. I am not sure about that price, I was thinking it was more like $350 for elements and three times that for the full blown photoshop. That price I found one place while adobe themselves want $80 dollars just to download an upgrade of my older version.
I really like adobe because I have gotten to be a real wizard at restoring photos.
I scan everything high res as a tif file, than go in straighten, clean up, sharpen, adjust color or whatever a pic needs that is doable and ten resave the tif and then save it as jpg for quicker viewing, If my jpg file is really big say a meg or more I will either downsize and save or maybe save the downsize as a separate file.
I currently have a little over 5,000 scanned images on my hard drive for a little over 45 gigs of scans, many of them I have scanned at ridiculously high resolution though I don't think I have any 100 meg scans on this computer. The first time I scanned an image that extreme the file took up half my hard drive.
Les C

>As for digital cameras the new ones while there picturesare great, many programs can not use then as
 the resolutionis to big and you cannot get them down to a usable resolution.<
>One must be aware of what they are doing and what they are going to do with their photos -- if you want a small photo for the internet, adjust the pixel size on the camera "before" one takes the picture (this is something that all but the $10 cameras do)
Even though I can take an 18 MB photo, that doesn't mean that I do.  Sometimes I want a hi-res photo, like if I'm copying real photographs, but the vast majority of pics I take are a few hundred KB or less. It's my choice -- 240 KB makes a nice image on my
 monitor.
Bill Strickland>