[or-roots] City and County of Birth

ross1948 at bendcable.com ross1948 at bendcable.com
Thu Mar 14 23:33:13 PDT 2013

I just found this information:  (I’m the one who commented that my husband was born in a nursing home in Prineville....but maybe that’s just what they told him and that it was really the Elkins House or maybe the Elkins House was the nursing home.)

The first hospital in Prineville opened in 1912 in a house renamed Home Hospital. The next hospital, Maternity Hospital, operated on the second floor of the Elkins house in the 1930s. In 1940 the three-story Cornett House was converted to the Prineville General Hospital. The Bowman Museum has a film of a patient being carried on a stretcher up a narrow flight of stairs, maneuvered around a sharp corner, and up more stairs to the patient rooms.

Maybe that patient was one of the citizens who saw the need for a “modern” hospital that wasn’t in someone’s former home. In 1948 a group of citizens raised money from the community of Prineville to build Pioneer Memorial Hospital. It opened in 1950 and has served the community ever since.

Medicine, technology and patient treatment have changed drastically through the years and now there is talk again about building a new hospital in Prineville.

To find the above information I typed in History Pioneer Memorial Hospital Prineville Oregon

J Ross