[or-roots] SB 2093

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 14:03:18 PDT 2013

Very good thoughts, Les.
And you echo my feeling exactly.
Linda

In a message dated 3/27/2013 11:15:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
opera_70 at yahoo.com writes:

I just fired this off to my state Senator, hope it meets  every one's
approval;

Dear Senator Arnold Roblan;

My favorite genealogical list has had the  following bill brought to our
attention;

House Bill 2093

_http://landru.leg.state.or.us/13reg/measpdf/hb2000.dir/hb2093.intro.pdf_
(http://landru.leg.state.or.us/13reg/measpdf/hb2000.dir/hb2093.intro.pdf)

Our most important concern is the feature  that it appears to seek adding
25 years to the period of time which the  general public cannot access vital
statistics. I understand that many  people may see this as strengthening
safeguards against identity theft  and creation of phony identification. In
reality all it will accomplish  is making life more difficult for we in the
genealogical community and  have little or no effect on those intended
consequences.

For a mere $39.95 with my handy  dandy MasterCard I recently signed on to a
web service that  pretty much gives me access to the vital records of
anyone I want  information on, the more recent the information I want the better.
I  bought it because a cousin was wanting to contact an ex wife of her
brother; boom for an additional $2.95 for the "details" i.e. exact  address and
current phone number. In many states this service provides  actual copies
of documents. So if the intent is to protect  identification, it is a case of
closing the barn door after the horse is  gone.

A further objection is that it appears to be creating  a new level of State
government at a time when we can't pay for what we  have. If there are
changes that genuinely need to be made in records  keeping, they should be
administratively handled within our current  vital statistics organization.

Yours  respectfully:

or-roots  mailing  list
or-roots at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Hosted  by the Oregon State Library. The Library is not responsible for
content.
Questions related to message content should be directed to list  owner(s)
or the sender of the message, by phone or email.
Technical  questions? Call 503-378-8800.