[or-roots] More Census confusion;

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 21:57:26 PDT 2013

Just when I thought census information couldn't get any weirder;

Trying to unravel some of my distant Wisner cousins and their spouses (IN NEW YORK) I decide to search family search for Mommy and Daddy; first hit pops up is 1870 census. Well lets look at that and I go digging in my genealogy etc folder to the appropriate place and yep, there it is but just for laughs open it and make sure I have the actual information since sometimes my Heritage Quests files get corrupted.

Boom yep there it is;   .   .    .     wait, something doesn't look right?? Okay major confession here, my immediate family might be considered just a "wee bit" nerdy. I sit in my computer room; behind me over my left shoulder my son and his major gaming set up; two 19" monitors, over right shoulder his wife not quite so game oriented, but yet two 19" monitors so Yep, me being more thrifty one of mine is 17" but it sure is nice now cause I open the Family search Census on one screen and Heritage  Quest on the other and they ARE NOT THE SAME CENSUS???

Yes, 1870 Census, yes, clearly the same family as next door neighbor Finlay Wright (Phinley in HQ,)  and we are in 15th ward of New York, but FS is 2d district and HQ is 5th district, FS Jan 3rd and HQ July 5th. But God help you if you are going to rely on these for age;
FS Finlay Wright 70, Lucy 60, Lucy S. 17 Gabriel Wisner 54 Elizabeth 46 Catherine 24, Percy 16
HQ                        73   not there             19                            50                  40                   21              15

Wow, what am I supposed to make of that???

Isn't genealogy just a real kick in the pants though??  Glad I know the right ages for most of them.