[or-roots] old death certificate

SAWYER Layne G layne.g.sawyer at state.or.us
Tue Dec 9 14:02:03 PST 2014

Janet,

Linda's response is correct in that there was no requirement for creation of death certificates by the state of Oregon until 1903 .  However the City of Portland did pass a local ordinance in the early 1880's that required the filing of birth and death certificates.  The problem is that the City of Portland at that time did not include anything east of the Willamette River.  Gradually as the outlying areas, such as Linnton, St Johns, Albina, etc. were annexed into the city they were covered by the ordinance but depending on where in Multnomah County your person resided at the time they may not have had a death certificate recorded.  The fact that you checked the Oregon Historical Records Index, which includes all of these early City of Portland records, and did not find the person listed means that it is very likely that a certificate was never created.  The suggestion of a death notice or obituary is probably your next strongest lead.

You might want to try the digital newspaper project at the U of O to see if you can find anything in the newspaper.

http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
"List Mom"