[or-roots] Parrish Gap road

Linda Wiley oregontrail1851 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 19:25:33 PST 2014

Dan, Parrish Gap, the road is near Turner.  If you bring a map up of Jefferson, enlarge it so you can see detail, and go to the north side of town you will find Jefferson-Marion Road to the east.  a few miles down that road Parrish Gap comes in from the north.  It is a rural two lane road--probably carried more traffic before I-5 freeway went in, but it twists and turns through farm country.  It's in Marion County.  No website--nothing famous about it.  "Oregon Geographic Names" by McArthur, the Oregon "Bible" of information on places, only gives it two sentences: "This gap is in the hills about a mile northeast of Marion,  It was named after E.E. Parrish on whose donation land claim the gap is situated."  It is just a lower place with hills on both sides.  These hills rise up from what has been relatively flat land from the south.