[or-roots] New Year's 1935 baby

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Wed Jan 8 16:27:08 PST 2014

Brad

Thanks for sharing this! I really enjoy what I'm finding in the old
newspapers - really makes the "gone befores" come alive.

I may have asked you this before, if so, I'm sorry and will plead
"old-timers" disease.

I descend from Gills Fuquet (otherwise known as Guillaume Fuqua), out of
Virginia 17th century. I've been a bit curious as to the pronunciation of
the name.

I would say "Few-quah" but I understand that is not universal.  I came
across a Fuqua delivery truck at a roadside rest stop some years back (don't
recall what they were delivering), and got two or three different versions.
Of course, they were employees, and not of the Fuqua name.

So, Brad, how do you pronounce YOUR name? And, how did so many Fuquas wind
up in Oregon?  (there are lots of "other named" Fuquas, mostly related to
me, where the name has been out of the family since 1743 <G>.)

Pat

In Tucson