[or-roots] information about doctors in early Oregon

Anne Comer comerslr at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 19 23:12:55 PDT 2018

I always appreciate tips even when they don't work out, so thank you Layne for this suggestion.  But my physician, Wilson Fisher died in 1863 so again this 1867 directory won't mention him.

There are only a couple of places where I find him, first in the Early Oregonians records kept by the Sec. of State. It says he was born in Brown County, Ohio 1818 and arrived in Oregon in September 1850 and that his occupation was physician.  So, he missed that 1850 census but he is listed in the 1860 census living with wife and two children at Lost Valley Precinct, Lane County, Pleasant Hills. This record also says he was a physician.

Wilson was the 2nd husband of one of my Gr-Great Grandmothers, Rebecca Evarts Smith Fisher. I believe that they were married December 1853 in Lane County, although I have not yet found the marriage certificate.  During the 10 years of their marriage they had three children, Sarah, 1853-1867 and a set of twin boys, Daniel and George born in 1856.  Unhappily, Daniel died as an infant of only one month.  So the only child they raised to adulthood was George, and he, in fact was mostly raised by his widowed mother.  Life was hard.

Thanks,
Anne