[or-roots] Jeremiah Kenoyer

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Tue Sep 18 16:06:07 PDT 2018

J Kenoyer, 40, born Iowa was in Sublimity, Marion County, Oregon, in 1860.
He's a United Brethren Clergyman.

With him are, E, 39, born Ohio, F, 19 male, farmer, b Iowa, J H? male 18, b
Iowa, M  C, 16, female, b Iowa, F A, 14, female, b Iowa, C I, 11 female, b
Wisconsin, E, 9, female, b Wisconsin, L M, 7, female, b Wisconsin. Then, J,
5, b Oregon, G W, 4, b Oregon, (both males), and O? 5/12, born Oregon,
female.

So, they moved to Oregon between 1853, when L M was born in Wisconsin, and
1855, when J was born in Oregon.

But...Oregon Donation Land Claims.  #1604, Kenoyer, Jeremiah, Polk Co., b
1819, Harrison Co., Ind; Arr. Ore 31 Sep 1853; SC (settled claim) 1 Jan
1854; m Elizabeth Cuppy 26 Apr 1840, Jasper County, Ind. J. Kenoyer was a
doctor and United Brethren Minister. Aff: Jesse Harriett, Geo. W Branson, E
T Branson, Wm Branson.

So, Iowa or Indiana. Came in 1853 with a babe in arms. Was in Marion County,
but got a DLC in Polk.  Interesting that the entire family preferred Iowa as
a birth state in 1860. And I mean some in different households. Suspect this
was a case of a neighbor giving information to the enumerator. By 1870, they
were born in Indiana.

Polk is where they got their DLC by 1866, so perhaps they hadn't chosen
their claim yet? That's a bit unusual.

They were in Walla Walla, Washington by 1870,  Whitman County, Washington
(southeast corner of Washington, just north of the Oregon Border) by 1880
and he died there in 1906.

Now, to answer your actual question.

http://www.oregonpioneers.com/1853.htm gives his travel year, but the go-to
website...I really couldn't find it.  Linn County site that set out the
entire year of folks stopping at the Umatilla/Utilla Indian Agency seems
gone. Only this:

http://genealogytrails.com/ore/linn/oregontrail1853.html

It no longer has the list, just the "we went on a short-cut" list, which
included two of my 2ggpts and ggrandmother. I checked the Umatilla County
site, and nothing there.

However, this may help.

https://archive.org/stream/InventoryOfTheCountyArchivesOfOregonNo.2BentonCou
nty/Inventory%20of%20the%20County%20Archives%20of%20Oregon%2C%20No.%202%20Be
nton%20County#page/n41/search/kenoyer

p A-32

"One of the early settlers in the valley was Basil Longforth, who came to
Oregon with the Connor-Kenoyer train in 1853. On November 17 he wrote: 'This
morning is again pleasant. Here our path's..." and more.

Other names mentioned by this fellow were Thomas Ellis, Jeremiah Mason,
Jeremiah Kenoyer, Jeremiah Simeon, and Dillon Mason.

Here's another one:

http://orgenweb.org/orbenton/wpa/IntervB.html

"My father was Alexander BENNETT. He came in 1852 from Ohio and settled
first near Buena Vista in Polk County. He was a preacher and came as a
missionary on his own responsibility. The trip was made by way of the Panama
and by boat to San Francisco and Portland. "

"Father at first had no connection with the United Brethren missionary party
which came west in the same year under the leadership of T. J. CONNOR and
Jeremiah KENOYER, but he soon came into contact with them and when the
Oregon Conference was organized he joined the United Brethren Church. For
the rest of his life he preached for that church, very often on some of the
outlying circuits. "

So, there you go. Wish I could direct you to the list, but apparently it
means a trip to the archives or OCTA.

Pat Dunford

Tucson