No subject

Thu Nov 19 13:58:53 PST 2020

connected with the Albertina Kerr adoption people.

Barb
wulf at bendcable.com
http://home.bendcable.com/wulf/Project/siteMapNoImage.htm
----- Original Message -----
From: "Leslie Chapman" <khanjehgil at presys.com>
To: <or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 11:26 PM
Subject: RE: [or-roots] Baby Louise Home in Portland

> Nancy;
>
> It looks like from the stuff Barbara found that it was definitely a
> hospital, it is possible that the term inmate was used in the broad
context
> of "resident in an institution" rather than "prisoner" as we think of it
> now. My webster's defines inmate as " one of a group occupying a single
> residence" as well as prisoner or asylum resident.
>
> I encountered this when I found one of my dad's ancestors, I forget
whether
> it was grandmother or aunt, who was a teacher. I thought it was a prison
> when I saw the column of inmates, but then down the side it gave the name
of
> the school.
>
> Les C

-------------------------------1076947457

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffff=
f">
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>From what I can remember of growing up in Portland during the '=
30's and 40's the Louise Home was where "wayward" girls were sent when pregn=
ant. These unwed girls were not exactly prisioners but were not allowed to l=
eave until after their babies were born. Most baby's were adopted out.</STRO=
NG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Carroll (Cooper) Summers</STRONG></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>From the other stuff I found from Google.com&n=
bsp; it looks like they were<BR>connected with the Albertina Kerr adoption p=
eople.<BR><BR>Barb<BR>wulf at bendcable.com<BR>http://home.bendcable.com/wulf/P=
roject/siteMapNoImage.htm<BR>----- Original Message ----- <BR>From: "Leslie=20=
Chapman" <khanjehgil at presys.com><BR>To: <or-roots at sosinet.sos.state=
.or.us><BR>Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 11:26 PM<BR>Subject: RE: [or-r=
oots] Baby Louise Home in Portland<BR><BR><BR>> Nancy;<BR>><BR>> It=
 looks like from the stuff Barbara found that it was definitely a<BR>> ho=
spital, it is possible that the term inmate was used in the broad<BR>context=
<BR>> of "resident in an institution" rather than "prisoner" as we think=20=
of it<BR>> now. My webster's defines inmate as " one of a group occupying=
 a single<BR>> residence" as well as prisoner or asylum resident.<BR>>=
<BR>> I encountered this when I found one of my dad's ancestors, I forget=
<BR>whether<BR>> it was grandmother or aunt, who was a teacher. I thought=
 it was a prison<BR>> when I saw the column of inmates, but then down the=
 side it gave the name<BR>of<BR>> the school.<BR>><BR>> Les C<BR>&g=
t;<BR>> -----Original Message-----<BR>> From: or-roots-admin at sosinet.s=
os.state.or.us<BR>> [mailto:or-roots-admin at sosinet.sos.state.or.us]On Beh=
alf Of Nancy Noble<BR>> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 1:01 PM<BR>> T=
o: or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us<BR>> Subject: [or-roots] Baby Louise=20=
Home in Portland<BR>><BR>><BR>> Can anyone out there tell me about=20=
the Louise Home in Portland?  In the<BR>1930<BR>> census, the girls=20=
there are all called "inmates", but it seems to me that<BR>I<BR>> can rem=
ember a time when it was a prenatal residence and birthing hospital<BR>>=20=
for unwed mothers....and were adoptions arranged thru the home, also? =20=
Any<BR>> information about the Home would be welcome!<BR>><BR>> Nan=
cy in Salem<BR>> ---</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG></DIV></BODY></HTML>