[or-roots] More Melvin stuff

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 09:33:26 PDT 2022

So our list not being very active lately there have been some changes in my life that you'll may or may not be aware of;
I went through a rough patch in late 2010 and early 2011 wherein I had to enter five new deaths in my family file, the toughest of which were my brother-in-law October 2010 and my wife in the following January. To say the least these were not happy times for me and mine.
I had been in touch during these difficult times with a Susan Melvin that I had graduated from High School with as we were sort of our own support group as she also was going throuugh a rough patch. To make a long story short (yes I know it's already too late!) she and I became VERY good friends and she has brought a great deal of joy to my life.
Now here is where we get to the genealogy; my maternal granmother's maiden name was Melvin and for some reason the fact that her maiden name was Melvin was something I never questioned when we were kids, but when she nad her daughter moved into my grandma Melvin's house in Gardiner and they were touring the cemetery her daughter couldn't help but wonder if we were related.
The fact is Melvin is and adopted surname for Susan, but I did get curious and was able to track the surname back to 1710, but not to my Melvins. Fast forward to a discussion with one of Susan's adopted cousins wanting to know what I could find on their family tree and "according to what I find online" they are my seventh cousins. Or as my daughter-in-law put it; not as closely related as that stranger walking by the house. Now since I am kin or buttonhole  relative to at least half of Western Douglas county that really isn't a fair comparison.
NOW we come to the question part; Susan's Uncle Daryel Melvin married in 1945 to Alice HIlda Allen and they had two daughters, presumably in Cottage Grove, Oregon as that is where they are in the 1950 Census, but possibly in Lakeview as that is where they live when they are married according to thier application for marriage.
What I am trying to find is their true birth info and who Bobby Lanning is that Linda is married to according to her mother's obituary in the Idaho Press-Tribune in 2002. I pretty much have everything else I need on Daryel and way more than I need on Alice, though I suspect with a little work I could link her to my late niece Shellie, as Shellie was related to the seven feathers of the Cow Creek Tribe.
I am going to be at a Melvin family reunion in a week or so in Hemiston where I plan to share the results of my research with Susan's cousins.
Leslie Chapman