[OR_Archaeology] SHA Newsletter Submissions: Deadline August. 1, 2008

Susan White Susan.White at state.or.us
Mon Aug 4 11:55:17 PDT 2008

(from a copied e-mail from Bob Cromwell)
Hi All,

Please excuse the large posting, and any cross-posting that may come your way. As you may or may not know, I am the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) Newsletter regional submission's editor for the Pacific Northwest/North America region. If any of you are members of the SHA, you may have noticed that the PNW region is typically one of the poorest represented in the Newsletter, and I'm trying to change this!

As many of you remember from this past January, I am making it a personal mission to harass and harangue my way into your collective consciousness' to gather as many submissions as we can in the next few years. The Spring issue had two submissions for the PNW in it, which was the highest number
in over five years. There were no submissions in the Summer issue, and I neglected to send a reminder e-mail before the May 1 deadline.  Through the grapevine,  I hear about incredible historical archaeology projects going on out there in the Pacific Northwest, but the rest of the historical archaeology world is not hearing about it!

Please, if you notice that archaeological acquaintances are missing on this e-mail list,  forward this e-mail to as many professional and student archaeologists in this region (Oregon, Washington, and Idaho) that you may know, especially those who are doing historical archaeology projects. My e-mail list is very lacking for graduate students, and many of the contractors out there.

As you can see in the Subject Line, the impending deadline is August 1, 2008. I know this is a late notice, but I'm currently instructing an archaeological field school, and I nearly forgot this deadline again myself! The remaining deadline for the year is Nov. 1, 2008.

I will make it a point to resend this e-mail prior to the next deadlines as well.

Here are the stipulations for submissions:

All submissions must be submitted in an electronic format via email attachment to alasdair.brooks at oxfordarch.co.uk or to the appropriate current research editor (Bob_Cromwell at nps.gov). Text should be submitted as a MSWord file, or alternately as a text only or ASCII file. Illustrations (drawings and photographs) are encouraged and will be used as space allows.  All illustrations should be sent electronically, preferably in Tiff or Jpeg format, with a relatively high resolution (300 dpi or greater). If absolutely necessary, original photos or drawings may be submitted and will be returned.

Guidelines for Current Research contributions:

Current Research contributions should be related to a single specific subject, such as a site or project investigation or a thematic research project.  Each contribution should contain as much of the following information as applicable:

Name and addresses affiliation of project directors and funding or administrative agencies.  Concise statement of the research problems being investigated, including: goals and purposes for conducting the research; geographical location of the research; temporal period covered by the research; types of material culture remains being investigated.  Concise statement of the major results of the research, including: citation of manuscript and published reports completed; information as to the current and projected location of new artifact collections created from the research.

Current research contributions should:  be identified by state or country, and site and/or thematic                                           topic include the name of the contribution(s) writer(s) be brief, normally one to two pages in length -- longer submissions will be accepted on a space-available basis.

Please e-mail submissions to me, in MS Word format, before the August 1 deadline, or start planning your submissions for the Nov. 1 deadline, if you please.

Best,
Bob

Robert Cromwell, Ph.D., Archaeologist
Fort Vancouver National Historic Site