[OR_Archaeology] Salem AIA lecture schedule for 2008-2009

Susan White Susan.White at state.or.us
Tue Sep 9 16:06:50 PDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the 2008-2009 lecture schedule of the Salem
Society of the Archaeological Institute of America (see below and
attached).  We have invited eight speakers who will cover a wide-range
of exciting archaeological themes ranging geographically from the Far
East westward towards Peru and temporally from the second millennium BCE
to the 16th cent. AD.  The officers of the Salem Society hope that you
will attend these talks and encourage others, including your students,
to join us.

If you have any questions regarding the AIA lecture series please feel
free to contact me.  I would like to thank our Program Coordinator,
Prof. Mary Bachvarova for working hard to put this program together.

All the best,
Scott
--
Scott Pike
Environmental and Earth Sciences Department

o. 503-370-6587
f. 503-370-6773
spike at willamette.edu

Archaeological Institute of America, Salem Society, Lecture Series
(2008-2009)*

Thursday, September 18, 2008
Kathleen Mineck, Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
*Beer Brewing Techniques in the Ancient Near East*
No-Host Dinner:  Jason Lee Room, Goudy Commons, 6 p.m.
Lecture:  Paulus Lecture Hall (Room 201), Truman Wesley Collins Legal
Center, Salem, Oregon, 7:30 p.m.
Co-sponsors:  The Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology, Classics
Program, Willamette University

Thursday, October 16, 2008
Prof. Rebecca Dobkins, Department of Anthropology, Willamette
University
*Art of Ceremony: Regalia of Native Oregon*
Lecture:  Paulus Lecture Hall (Room 201), Truman Wesley Collins Legal
Center, Salem, Oregon, 7:00 p.m.
Co-sponsors:  Hallie Ford Museum of Art, Willamette University

Thursday, October 23, 2008
Prof. Susan Kane, Department of Art History, Oberlin College
"Cyrene: a World Heritage site in the 21st century"
No-Host Dinner:  Jason Lee Room, Goudy Commons, 6 p.m.
Lecture:  Paulus Lecture Hall (Room 201), Truman Wesley Collins Legal
Center, Salem, Oregon, 7:30 p.m.
Co-sponsors:  The Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology,
Willamette University and a grant from the Hewlett Foundation

Thursday, March 4, 2009
Prof. Lothar von Falkenhausen, Depts. of Art History and Archaeology,
University of California, Los Angeles
*The Social Archaeology of Bronze Age China*
No-Host Dinner:  Jason Lee Room, Goudy Commons, 6 p.m.
Lecture:  Paulus Lecture Hall (Room 201), Truman Wesley Collins Legal
Center, Salem, Oregon, 7:30 p.m. Co-sponsors:  The Center for Ancient
Studies and Archaeology, Willamette University

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Dr. Lisa R. Brody, Assoc. Curator of Ancient Art, Yale University Art
Gallery
TBA

Thursday, April 9, 2009
Prof. Charles Stanish, University of California, Los Angeles
*The Civilizations of Ancient Peru: Inca, Moche and Tiqanaku*