[OR_Archaeology] OR Council for Humanities seeks essays/articles about "stuff"

Susan White Susan.White at state.or.us
Thu Dec 11 13:54:14 PST 2008

"STUFF" WRITING SOUGHT BY MAGAZINE

For the Summer 2009 issue of Oregon Humanities, the Oregon Council for the Humanities is seeking essays and articles on the theme of "stuff." Its editors are especially interested in writing that explores the conflicts between consumerism and American culture: How do we use stuff
as proxies that explain who we are? What can we learn from historical and artistic representations of American consumer culture? Is shopping a patriotic act that keeps America's economy afloat?

All forms of nonfiction writing, including scholarly essays, personal essays, and journalistic articles. Currently the magazine is distributed to 12,000 readers. Essays from Oregon Humanities have been reprinted in the Pushcart Prize anthology and the Utne Reader.

If you are interested in contributing to this issue, you can familiarize yourself with Oregon Humanities and review its writers' guidelines read more about the planned summer issue at the OCH website at www.oregonhum.org

The deadline for proposals and drafts is Jan. 20.

Send submissions to Kathleen Holt, Editor, Oregon Humanities magazine, Oregon Council for the Humanities, 813 SW Alder St., Suite 702, Portland, OR, 97205, or kholt at oregonhum.org  No phone calls, please.