[OR_Archaeology] NEW SHPO Archaeology Survey & Report Guidelines!

Susan White Susan.White at state.or.us
Thu Jan 22 15:06:24 PST 2009

SHPO Archaeological Services introduces
NEW archaeological survey and reporting guidelines!

A copy of the guidelines are attached as well as located on our website at--

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/ARCH/index.shtml

Please look under our TECHNICAL INFORMATION banner, then under the Guidelines/Laws section, then just click on the link "Oregon Archaeological Survey & reporting Standards".

>From survey standards and expectations to providing direction for the preparation and submission of archaeological site forms and survey reports, the goal of the document is to convey general guidelines, specific requirements, and useful tips about the archaeological survey process in Oregon.  The intended audience includes professionals conducting archaeological surveys, completing site forms, and writing reports.

Readers should be aware that these guidelines do not set or interpret any policies, regulations, or permit requirements of any other public agency. For survey projects tied to federal, state, or local laws, these guidelines provide only technical information about the survey process and the completion of related technical reports. For questions about procedures and parameters of cultural resource legislation and regulations (such as Section 106 of the NHPA and related policies and protocols) contact should be made directly with the federal, state, or local decision-making agency.

These guidelines are adapted from the State of Washington report guidelines and from the Department of Interior, National Park Service, Secretary of the Interior Standards and Guidelines for Archaeology and Historic Preservation: Federal Register Vol 90 #140: 44716. Other sections are adapted from NPS-49 Chapter 6, Section E.2.

For additional information, visit our website at www.oregonheritage.org ( http://www.oregonheritage.org/ ) or contact our office.

*****************************
Susan Lynn White, RPA
Assistant State Archaeologist
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
725 Summer St NE, Suite C
Salem, Oregon 97301
503-986-0675
503-986-0793 FAX