[OR_Archaeology] The Archaeology Channel Film Festival: tickets and other information

RPettigrew at aol.com RPettigrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 10:55:36 PDT 2009

To our friends in Oregon:

Discount tickets for the sixth annual edition of The  Archaeology Channel
International Film and Video Festival (May  19-23, 2009; scroll down for details)
are available until April 1.   Five-day ticket packages are now $60, but will
go up to the standard price of  $70 on April 1.  The package includes
admission to all five days of films  (18 films in all) plus the Friday night Keynote
Address by Dr. Zahi Hawass,  Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council
of Antiquities.

Here are the details:

TAC Festival 2009
(_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml_ (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml) )  takes
place in the Soreng Theater of the Hult Center for the Performing Arts  from
Tuesday through Saturday, May 19-23, 2009.  Tickets are available  through the
Hult Center–ticket packages can be purchased only by calling the  Hult Center
Ticket Office at 541-682-5000.  Ticket prices range from $5 per  session for
students to $30 for orchestra seats for the Zahi Hawass  presentation.  Most
session prices are $12 each (in most cases for three  films).  Online ticket orders
for individual sessions can be made at
_http://www.hultcenter.org/event.asp?id=5862_ (http://www.hultcenter.org/event.asp?id=5862)   (scroll down to bottom
of that page for the link).

TAC Festival is the only juried competition in the Americas, and one of the
world’s leading competitions, for films relating to archaeology and cultural
heritage.  Films to be screened represent the best in the world in this  genre.

See the daily screening schedule at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/film/filmschedule_09.html_
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/film/filmschedule_09.html) .

Hotel information is available at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/hotelinfo09.html_ (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/hotelinfo09.html)
.   We have greatly expanded our options this year and very affordable rates
are  available.

All 18 film titles for this competition (selected from 87 films submitted
from 25 countries) are listed on
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml_ (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml) ,
 where each film title is a hot link to a page devoted to that film,
including a  short video clip for each.

You can find a bio about our Keynote Speaker, Dr. Zahi Hawass, at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/ZahiHawass.html_
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/ZahiHawass.html) .   Dr. Hawass, who is in charge of all
Egyptian archaeology and monuments,  including the pyramids, the Sphinx and King Tut.
 He is the outlet for all  archaeological discovery announcement from Egypt
and appears regularly in TV  programs about Egyptian archaeology.

Other Festival events will include a special workshop on reading and  writing
Mayan glyphs (taught by the film-makers for “Breaking the Maya Code,” a
guided to tour to Cascadia Cave and its famous rock art (and possibly other
tours), a film-makers’ symposium, Native American storytelling, a video bar for
viewing all films submitted to the competition, our Saturday night Awards
Reception, and possibly more.  We will post information about these  activities at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml_
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml) .

We soon will set up a special Amtrak rate for Festival-goers who choose to
take the train to Eugene.  That information will be posted at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml_ (http://www.arc
haeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml) ,  just as we did last year.

We are all aware that the economy is a big issue for everybody this  year.
We hope you will join with us in a commitment to continue the growth  of this
event as a key part of Oregon’s annual cultural calendar.  Thank  you very much
for your support!

Richard M.  (Rick) Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive  Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
4147 E. Amazon Dr.
Eugene, OR  97405