[OR_Archaeology] Fwd: [aia-salem-news] AIA Lecture Change of Speaker on April 9th

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Thu Apr 2 14:21:41 PDT 2009

>>> Andrea Foust <acarlson at willamette.edu> 4/2/2009 2:12 PM >>>
*Please note that we have had a change in our guest speaker for the
evening of April 9th.*

*Please join us for: *

*Four Thousand Years of Andean Gold*
Mark Aldenderfer
Professor of Anthropology at the University of Arizona

Thursday, April 9th 2009
7:30 pm
John C. Paulus Great Hall, Collins Legal Center
Free and open to the public

No-host Dinner: Jason Lee Room, Goudy Commons, 6 p.m.

Cultures around the world have used gold to signal status, prestige, and
power. In this lecture, Dr. Aldenderfer will examine four Andean
cultures?the Archaic hunters and gatherers of the Lake Titicaca basin
(2000 BC), the peoples of the Chavin cult (500 BC), the Moche state (AD
300), and the Chimu polity (AD 1300)?and describe how they used their
golden treasures. From the simplest of necklaces to the sleeves of gold
worn by the Chimu kings, the golden artifacts of these Andean cultures
continue to excite the modern imagination.

This lecture is co-sponsored by the Archaeological Institute of America,
and the Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology at Willamette University

--
Andrea Foust
Coordinator

Phone:  (503) 370-6654