[OR_Archaeology] Human Remains found on Wash. side of Columbia River

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Tue Aug 25 09:42:12 PDT 2009

(From www.kndo.com)

KENNEWICK, Wash. - Human remains are found along the Columbia River.

The Benton County Coroner says the remains appear to be very old. The bones are locked in a vault at the Benton County Coroner's office.  They're being prepared to be shipped to a forensic anthropologist in Olympia to identify the remains.

Coroner Rick Corson confirmed Monday morning the bones are human.   A lower jaw bone as well as a couple teeth were found North of Richland on the Benton County side.

A man boating with his family Saturday evening noticed the bones on the shore and handed them over to police. The coroner quickly noticed they were old, and an examination will now be performed to find out how old.

"We have to determine the national origin, hopefully the age and approximately the gender. If it is Native American, we don't want to disturb the site at all until they've been notified," said Corson.

The bones will soon be sent to the Washington State Department of Archaeological and Historic Preservation in Olympia for further examination.

There is no criminal investigation, but the bones are documented as evidence.