[OR_Archaeology] Rock Art near Bend, Oregon

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Thu Sep 17 12:08:03 PDT 2009

Mr. Allison,

I am including the OR Arch Listserv in my reply.

As I have requested in the past, please send your responses to the Listserv in general, and not solely to me. I believe your response below is aimed toward the listserv.

I am the listserv's moderator and, as such, do not publish any personal opinions regarding the discussions on the listserv. I will intervene in the listserv if any discourteous, defaming, or personal communications are sent.

Please be aware of this in future communications as well as that I will continue to forward your e-mails to all Listserv members and will not personally respond to your questions or concerns.

Thanks very much, Susan Lynn White

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C
Salem, Oregon 97301
503-986-0675 office
503-986-0793 fax
Susan.White at state.or.us

>>> "j. a" <johnvallison at yahoo.com> 9/16/2009 7:28 PM >>>

Susan,
I was waiting to respond to the several rather emotional replies to my statement questioning the accuracy of the news article that attributed the petroglyphs and pictographs about 20 miles southeast of Bend to Northern Paiute peoples. I expected that there would be some more knowledgable people to reply to the strong feeling expressed in those three replies.

Since there has not been any replies that support what I asserted, I will make the attached excerpt available to those who might have some interest in relatively verified information that relates to the questionable claims made in the article regarding the attribution of those petroglyphs and pictographs.

This is excerpted from my 1994, "The Cultural Landscape of the Klamath, Modoc and Yahooskin Peoples: Spirit, Nature, History.". This was the second ethnographic landscape inventory done under NPS Grants to Indian Tribes and Alaskan Natives (the first having been Kelly and Francis' work on Navajo Places), during my tenure as cultural resource program manager for the Klamath Tribes (Klamath, Modoc and Yahooskin). Please excuse the pages with photo descriptions that are not inserted into this excerpt.

I hope it helps to make clear the reasons for my comments on the news article..
John Allison