[OR_Archaeology] Uncovering Ancient St. Louis

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:36:58 PDT 2009

Apologies as always for the necessity of cross-posting...

Friends and colleagues: Surprising to some, civilization and complex
political organization apparently developed in the heart of North America,
even at the site of a prominent city, St. Louis.  We introduce many
intriguing ideas on this topic in *Uncovering Ancient St. Louis*, the latest
video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology
Channel* (http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

“Ancient history” didn’t happen just in famous places like Rome, Tikal and
Angkor Wat.  It happened also in the heart of North America.  Modern St.
Louis residents may not realize that their city once hosted a complex Native
American culture, represented by a cluster of mounds, possibly an actual
city rivaling Cahokia across the Mississippi River.  A small army of
scientists, while uncovering thousands of prehistoric Native American
archaeological sites around this fertile convergence of rivers, has some
fascinating questions about what took place here.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA

President and Executive Director

Archaeological Legacy Institute

http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Meara.Butler at gmail.com

Archaeological Legacy Institute ListServe Coordinator