[OR_Archaeology] It gets worse- Archaeologist ID card

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Tue Nov 24 16:33:15 PST 2009

Eirik Thorsgard just alerted me to other cards NIC Law Enforcement Supply sells--

Treasure Hunter, Numismatic Recovery (Coin Collectors) Cards, and.........

ARCHAEOLOGIST

http://www.nles.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=304&cat=

There are a couple of different styles of cards, I've attached their images.  The fine print is rather difficult to read so I put on my magnifiers and here is what one of the basic cards states--

"(insert name and photo) is an independent Archaeologist pursuing historical research. His work is in conjunction with, and in accordance to, established archaeological practices approved by the association (i.e, the American Association of Archaeologists) The voluntary cooperation of all persons, including land owners, and public officials is requested in order to aid him in this research."

On the humorous side, some of us are lamenting the exorbitant money we spent on degrees when it only costs $5 for the ID card.

However, the fine print about landowners and public officials alarms me greatly.  I'd like to ask anyone that can; please e-mail this website and tell them what you think of the ID cards, but sure to let them know that their ID cards are promoting illegal activities with regards to archaeological resources in Oregon.

I plan to pass on the website information to SAA, SHA, and RPA, and hope they can help shut this down quickly.

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C