[OR_Archaeology] December PSU Archaeology First Thursday Lecture: Dr. Julie Stein-Thursday, December 3rd, 4 p.m.

Wendy Ann Wright wendyannwright at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:20:52 PST 2009

The Anthropology Department at Portland State University presents the
December Archaeology First Thursday Lecture

Dr. Julie Stein<http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/info/steinwelcome.php>,
Executive Director of the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, will
be presenting her research with Amanda Taylor and Stephanie Jolivette on
shell middens and prehistoric coastal settlement patterns in the San Juan
Islands,
Washington.

Please join us Thursday, December 3rd at 4 p.m. in Room 338 of PSU's
Smith Memorial Student Union (1825 SW Broadway, 97201)

For more information please call 503.725.3081or email
wendyannwright at gmail.com

Shell Midden Research and Prehistoric Coastal Settlement Patterns in the San
Juan Islands, Washington

Amanda K. Taylor, Julie K. Stein, and Stephanie A.E. Jolivette, University
of Washington

In this paper we present the results of radiocarbon dating of shells from
auger samples collected during an auger survey of shell middens in San Juan
County and western Skagit County, WA conducted from 2005-2008.   By
integrating faunal and paleoenvironmental data with settlement pattern
results, we present hypotheses regarding the development of a more sedentary
lifeway associated with the beginnings of social complexity on the Northwest
Coast.  We also discuss similarities and differences between settlement
patterns proposed for the San Juan Islands with those for adjacent regions.