[OR_Archaeology] ODOT archaeologists need YOUR feedback on their new project ODOT PAST!

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Thu Dec 10 12:33:09 PST 2009

Hello everybody,

The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) Archaeology and GIS
programs are developing a web-based application that will provide the
most current project and archaeological status on all ODOT projects
statewide.  The goals are to supplement our Archaeology program’s
regular face-to-face meetings with our Tribal partners and increase
ODOT’s transparency through improved public outreach and to encourage
communication with landowners that may be affected by highway projects.

The ODOT Project and Archaeological Status Tracking (PAST) application
is similar to ‘Google maps.’  You can view current project areas for
the entire state or zoom to a specific county, city, or highway.
Clicking on a specific project at any level provides information such as
project name, current archaeological status, and archaeologist contact
information.  You also have the availability to e-mail ODOT
archaeologists or visit the Archaeology Program’s webpage from this
application.  Finally, there are opportunities to view the project area
using a street map, topographic map, or aerial map.  No site specific or
sensitive information is provided.

Please visit the ODOT PAST application by clicking on this link:  ODOT
PAST Link <http://alseageo.dyndns.biz/odotarchy/default.htm>

We hope to have a live version available in January 2010, after you
have an opportunity to review the ODOT PAST application and provide
comments.  This format distills a mountain of information into something
we hope is beneficial and easy to use.

Included is a link to a short survey that asks nine questions aimed to
improve the application’s effectiveness.  Please visit the survey by
clicking on this link:  Survey Link
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y9ZG2ZZ>

I would appreciate any and all comments by December 31, 2009.  I have
probably missed some folks who may wish to comment, so please feel free
to forward this e-mail.   You can also contact me by phone or e-mail
with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Thank you,

Kurt Roedel, MA, RPA
ODOT Archaeologist
Geo-Environmental Section