[OR_Archaeology] TAC features Maya culture preservation

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:55:09 PST 2009

Apologies as always for the necessity of cross-posting...

 Friends and colleagues: Indigenous Maya people are growing more active in
preserving their cultural heritage.  Current efforts by Maya organizers in
Guatemala are the subject of *Mayas Saving Maya Culture*, the latest video
feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology Channel*(
http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

An association of Tz’utujil Maya people from Santiago Atitlán, Guatemala,
struggle to establish a cultural center and archaeological site museum at
the nearby lakeside site of Chuitinamit, once home to the Pre-Hispanic Maya
King Tepepul and now badly looted.  Including a tour of the museum, this
film documents their accomplishments thus far and current endeavors in the
face of artifact looting and natural catastrophe in the form of Hurricane
Stan, which struck in 2005.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Meara.Butler at gmail.com

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator