[OR_Archaeology] Updates to State Excavation Permits

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Wed Dec 16 11:18:01 PST 2009

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I hope this note finds you and yours healthy and happy during this lovely holiday season.

In an effort to keep current with the many new applicants and permits being submitted to our office, SHPO has updated our archaeological excavation permit packet. You can access a Word copy of this packet anytime on our webpage at:

http://www.oregonheritage.org/OPRD/HCD/ARCH/index.shtml

(there's a link "Archaeological Excavation Permit Application" under the Technical Information banner)

I've also attached a copy of the application packet to this e-mail for your convenience.

In our permit application packet you will find additional information in the section entitled "Who may apply for Oregon Archaeological Permit?" that provides more details about the information needed for reports submitted for review to address Criterion C of the state statute defining a "qualified archaeologist".

There is also a new "Qualified Archaeologist Checklist" for both the permit applicant as well as all listed field supervisors. The checklist may look familiar to many since it is an abbreviated version of the Registry of Professional Archaeologists application.

Since the holidays are here and there is a lull in fieldwork and permits, I encourage all archaeologists who plan to apply for a permit or be listed as a field supervisor in the future to take this opportunity to review the checklist (it's quite brief) and fill out ahead of time, before you submit your permit packet so that we may be able to process your permit quickly and efficiently.
Please mail the signed checklist with attachments requested to our office at your earliest convenience.

We will be keeping your signed checklist on file, attached to your resume, so that you need only fill out the checklist once, rather than submitting a checklist with every permit.

This checklist will help our office keep track of the number of new applicants' and field supervisors' qualifications at a glance, rather than having to review resumes or depending upon institutional memory (institutionalized would be more applicable in my case) as well as form the foundation of an electronic database of applicants and field supervisors that will be incorporated into our electronic permit application database.

We dearly appreciate your time and efforts in helping us update and streamline our permitting process.

If you have any questions about these updates, please do not hesitate to contact our State Archaeologist, Dr. Dennis Griffin.

Again, thank you for your time and efforts on our behalf and please have a safe and wonderful holiday season!

Warm Regards, Susan Lynn White

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO