[OR_Archaeology] TAC features Beijing heritage protection

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 08:53:57 PST 2009

Apologies as always for the necessity of cross-posting...

 Friends and colleagues: Proponents of cultural heritage protection in
Chinaare making gains in conveying their perspectives to fellow
citizens and to
key decision-makers.  The Beijing Cultural Heritage Protection Center (CHP)
in 2009 successfully lobbied to halt the demolition of an important
structure in a traditional Beijing hutong neighborhood, as documented
by *Number
24 Beizongbu Hutong: **Liang Sicheng** and **Lin Huiyin**’s Former Residence
*, the latest video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, *The
Archaeology Channel* (http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

 This short film, produced by the CHP, displays the dilapidated state of the
former 20th Century hutong residence of Mr. Liang Sicheng and his wife, Ms. Lin
Huiyin, in Beijing.  The couple was among China’s most famous art and
architecture experts, particularly in exploring Chinese ancient
architecture.  The former residence, badly damaged by a real estate
development project, is a valuable cultural heritage symbol that once
belonged to people who made influential contributions to Chinese art and
architecture throughout their lifetimes.

 This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.
We urge you to support this public service by participating in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting(
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

 Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know
if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

 Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Meara.Butler at gmail.com

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator