[OR_Archaeology] Private Property Archaeological Volunteer Project

Sarah Purdy sepurdy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 15:52:55 PST 2010

Hello Everyone,

In an attempt to reach out to the public and increase public awareness of
archaeology and the importance of preserving and protecting sites, Nancy
Nelson and myself decided to take the responsibility of testing at
35MA278, which
is located at a private residence near Talbot, Oregon.  The house is located
on a knoll that has known cultural resources.  The surrounding area is a
lowland within the flood area of the Santiam River.  The site was located
during construction of a wheelchair access ramp into the basement.  Dennis
Griffin completed a site form for the site which defines the site as a
possible long term camp and lithic reduction area.  The landowners have
halted construction on the current project until archaeological testing can
be completed.  Unfortunately, they cannot afford the archaeological testing
required and we would like to help them complete this project and learn more
about deeply stratified archaeological deposits in the Willamette Valley.

Nancy and I have submitted a SHPO permit application, and we are hoping to
begin fieldwork in February 2010.  The archaeological fieldwork will most
likely take place on a few weekends from February through the beginning of
April.  The final collection will be curated at the University of Oregon
Museum of Natural and Cultural History.

Below is a list of volunteer opportunites to complete this project.  We have
already received a number of volunteers for fieldwork, analyses, and report
write-up; however, we are trying to reach out to the rest of the
archaeological community in Oregon.  If you have any interest in
volunteering for any aspect of this project please contact myself or Nancy
(See below).  If you see any categories that are not on the list, that you
would be interested in contributing to, please let us know.

*Remaining Volunteer Opportunities*

Fieldwork

                - Field supplies –

- Field Crew –

- Site Mapping (it would be great if anyone has a total station because we
would like to map the surrounding structure and the landform topography)

                - Photo Documentation –

                - Stratigraphic profile  -

- Soil characterization

Artifact Cleanup

Botanical Analysis

Radio Carbon Dating

Obsidian sourcing

Curation Preparation

                - Label bags, label tools, accession tags, archival boxes,
etc. –

Report Writeup

                - Project Background

                                - Physical Setting

                                - Historic Context

                -Maps/Graphics

                - Laboratory Methodology

                                - Botanical Analysis

                                - Radio carbon and obsidian sourcing
information

- Bibliography – (each section author should create a bibliography for their
section and the report editor can combine all the references)

*Contact Information:*

 Nancy J. Nelson, M.A., R.P.A.

State Parks Archaeologist

Oregon State Parks & Recreation Department

725 Summer Street NE, Suite C

Salem, OR 97301-1266

Office: (503) 986-0578

nancy.nelson at state.or.us