[OR_Archaeology] Salazar says Cape Wind decision by end of April

Wendy Ann Wright wendyannwright at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 13:06:23 PST 2010

Tom King sent this to the Oregon Archaeology Listserv in regards to my
question about something similar to Nantucket Sound in the PNW, but I don't
believe he is signed up so it didn't make it to the list.  Here is his
response for anyone who is thinking about how we might better manage these
questions of eligibility earlier in the process.
Cheers, Wendy Ann

Wendy Ann -- In talking with reporters about how something like Nantucket
Sound could be eligible for the Register, an example I cited was the
Seattle-Bremerton Ferry across Puget Sound.  It's the ferry crossing, not
the ferries, that are on the Register, and the termini at either end surely
lack architectural integrity.  So I ask, what's the property?  The water
that's constantly moving over the crossing?  The land at the bottom of the
Sound under where the ferry crosses?  Or simply the geographic space,
abstractly defined, through which the ferry moves?  And frankly, Scarlett,
who gives a damn?

TKing

--
Wendy Ann Wright
Portland State University
BARACK OBAMA, Inauguration Speech, Jan 20, 2009