[OR_Archaeology] Fw: [Blog post] Speaking of Ozette: dSpace resources.

Leland Gilsen LelandGilsen at msn.com
Fri Feb 5 09:07:30 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Northwest Coast Archaeology<mailto:no-reply at wordpress.com>
To: lelandgilsen at msn.com<mailto:lelandgilsen at msn.com>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 3:30 AM
Subject: [Blog post] Speaking of Ozette: dSpace resources.

      <http://qmackie.wordpress.com/author/qmackie/> Speaking of Ozette: dSpace resources.<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/speaking-of-ozette-dspace-resources/>
      qmackie<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/author/qmackie/> | February 5, 2010 at 3:24 am | Tags: Archaeology<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/archaeology/>, Binky<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/binky/>, household archaeology<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/household-archaeology/>, Loafer<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/loafer/>, Makah<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/makah/>, Northwest Coast<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/northwest-coast/>, Ozette<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/ozette/>, Public Archaeology<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/public-archaeology/>, Washington State<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/washington-state/>, wet sites<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/tag/wet-sites/> | Categories: Archaeology<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/category/archaeology/>, Northwest Coast<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/category/northwest-coast/>, Washington State<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/category/washington-state/>, dSpace<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/category/dspace/> | URL: http://wp.me/pv9Y2-lT<http://wp.me/pv9Y2-lT>

<http://qmackie.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/wasu-report-ozette-cover.jpg>
The "White Series" Ozette reports are freely available for download! Image shows house-plank decoration from the Ozette Site, used as cover art for these reports.

This space has recently carried a lot of items about the Ozette<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/memories-of-ozette/> water-saturated site on the Olympic Peninsula,  about Makah whaling<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/makah-whaling-gear/>, and Queets canoes<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/one-tree-four-canoes/>, and other<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/photo-essay-on-the-qwugwes-site/> wet sites in Washington State.  All archaeologists and many of the public in the Northwest are familiar with the Ozette site which, with its fabulous preservation has stimulated a lot of work on the archaeology of the big houses which so characterise the culture area from the Columbia to the Gulf of Alaska. A principal way most archaeologists are familiar with Ozette is through the three large  site reports published by Washington State University, bound as large white paperbacks, and found on the bookshelf of archaeologists across the region.

So, imagine how happy I was to find that all three volumes are available as free PDF downloads from the Washington State.  The PDFs are very large, perhaps un-necessarily so, but who can complain about over a thousand pages of detailed archaeological information on one of the most significant archaeological sites in North America, or even the world?  The three volumes are:

  a.. Samuels et al.  Ozette archaeological project research reports Volume I House structure and floor midden. 1991.  Link<http://hdl.handle.net/2376/2057> to download page.  (193 megs)
  b.. Samuels et al. Ozette archaeological project research reports volume II Fauna. 1994.  Link <http://hdl.handle.net/2376/2060>to download page(154 megs)
  c.. Whelchel et al.  Ozette archaeological project research reports volume III ethnobotany and wood technology.  2004.  Link<http://hdl.handle.net/2376/2047> to download page.  (288 megs).
  d.. While you're at it, pick up Dale Croes' pioneering 1974 computer applications in archaeology paper: The use of computer graphics in archaeology : a case study from the Ozette site, Washington.  Link<http://hdl.handle.net/2376/2040> to download page.  (149 megs).
(Note: all the above documents may download as files named "ARI" with no file extension.  You will need to add the extension .PDF to the file before you open it.)

These PDFs are fully searchable which makes finding things within the copious material of the Ozette site much easier.  The huge number of artifacts, features and fauna from Ozette have been a blessing and a curse, as interpretation struggles under the dead weight of data.  I would therefore be remiss if I didn't bring to your attention the excellent M.A. thesis on Northwest Coast household archaeology by UVIC's own Brendan Gray, who uses Ozette as a test-bed to investigate how we might be able to dig less but dig smarter and therefore learn more from Northwest houses.  Every NW Coast archaeologist should read this thesis.

  a.. Gray, Brendan 2009.  Sampling methods in Northwest Coast household archaeology: a simulation approach using faunal data from the Ozette site.  Link<http://hdl.handle.net/1828/1337> (a bargain at 4.8 megs)
Anyway, I know many readers might find this to be too much inf.ormation, but I don't believe it is common knowledge that these full text Ozette reports are freely available:  the WASU servers are fast, hard drives are cheap, and the reports are first class.  Enjoy.

<http://qmackie.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/nw-house-sampling-gray-20091.jpg>
Simulated and actual sampling designs projected onto Ozette house floors. From Brendan Gray M.A. thesis.

Add a comment to this post<http://qmackie.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/speaking-of-ozette-dspace-resources/#respond>

<http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gocomments/qmackie.wordpress.com/1357/> <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/godelicious/qmackie.wordpress.com/1357/> <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gostumble/qmackie.wordpress.com/1357/> <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/godigg/qmackie.wordpress.com/1357/> <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/goreddit/qmackie.wordpress.com/1357/>

     WordPress.com | Thanks for flying with WordPress!

      Manage Subscriptions<http://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=9ec7b28a319f1a1a37fc7dd2b738c90f&email=lelandgilsen%40msn.com> | One-click Unsubscribe<http://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=9ec7b28a319f1a1a37fc7dd2b738c90f&email=lelandgilsen%40msn.com&b=uAi4Njqkj9ucQ3K%25%7ECXkMDaKp.BgcDhf.Rz%2B%26T_> | Publish text, photos, music, and videos by email using our Post by Email<http://support.wordpress.com/post-by-email/> feature. | Signup with WordPress.com<http://wordpress.com/signup/?ref=email>