[OR_Archaeology] State of Portland Archaeology: We've added a panelist & a book raffle!

Wendy Ann Wright wendyannwright at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:19:09 PST 2010

Portland State's Department of Anthropology and the Anthropology Student
Association
invite you to join us today for a conversation about the *State of Portland
Archaeology*.

We are pleased to announce the addition of Oregon's Assistant State
Archaeologist, Susan Lynn White, to the panel.  We also plan to continue the
dialogue past this afternoon's conversation and welcome input from all
stakeholders of Portland archaeology.

*S**tate of Portland Archaeology*
*Thursday March 4th, 4 p.m.*
*Smith Memorial Student Union, Room 294*
*(**1825 SW Broadway, 97201)*
*
*
Join us today and enter to win a copy of The Settlement of the Americas: A
New Prehistory <http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780465076697-2> by Tom
Dillehay.
*
*

*Below are some of the questions we will be asking the panelists.  Please
consider sending your own answers to these questions to
wendyannwright at gmail.com.

*Describe the archaeology and history of archaeology in the Portland metro
region:*
-Where are sites?
-What kind of sites are they?
-How old are the sites?
-Who has done the archaeology?
-Why is the archaeology happening?

*Describe the past and current research questions and applications
of Portland **archaeology:*
-What questions are you and others asking?
-What can the archaeology of Portland do for people?
-How do you want archaeology to be used?
*
Describe how archaeologists communicate about Portland archaeology:*
-How are you sharing what you learn with archaeologists and others?
-How are you publishing information?
-Who is receiving the information?

Our panelists for today's conversation include:

*Dr. Kenneth M. Ames <http://web.pdx.edu/~amesk/>*, Professor and Chair,
Department of Anthropology, Portland State University

*David V. Ellis, M.P.A. <http://willamettecra.com/staff.html>*, Principal
Archaeologist, Willamette Cultural Resources Associates, Ltd.

*Jo Reese, M.A., RPA <http://www.ainw.com/Staff.htm>*, Corporate Vice
President and Senior Archaeologist, Archaeological Investigations Northwest,
Inc.

*Bill R. Roulette, M.A., RPA <http://www.aar-crm.com/staff.html>*, President
and Principal Investigator, Applied Archaeological Research, Inc.

*Susan Lynn White, M.A.,
RPA*<http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/ARCH/contact_us_directory.shtml>
*,* Assistant State Archaeologist, Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
*
*

*Also mark your calendars for the April 1st program, when we
welcome Gwendolyn Trice, the founder and Executive Director of the Maxville
Heritage Interpretive Center <http://www.maxvilleheritage.org/>.  Ms. Trice
will bring stories of the Maxville Heritage Project, featured on OPB's
Oregon Experience, "The Logger's
Daughter<http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience/programs/19-The-Logger-s-Daughter>",
which describes the multicultural community of a northeastern Oregon town
built by a Missouri lumber company in 1923.

Students in Dr. Douglas Wilson's Historic Archaeology course in PSU's
Department of Anthropology are currently assisting the Maxville Heritage
Interpretive Center with background research for the Maxville Heritage
Project.  Come learn about this important site and discuss the potential for
its archaeology.
*
*
*For questions, suggestions or more information about the Portland State's
First Thursday Archaeology Lecture Series please call 503.725.3081 or email