[OR_Archaeology] TAC features First Americans and the Topper Site

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:40:12 PST 2010

Please excuse the necessity of cross-posting.

 Friends and colleagues: The search for the first Americans remains a
high-profile quest sparking lots of debate.  You can get familiar with some
of the recent thinking on the subject, with a focus on South Carolina’s
Topper Site, by watching *Finding Clovis*, the latest video feature on our
nonprofit streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology Channel* (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

 This is an archaeological adventure at the Topper Site in Allendale County,
South Carolina, famous for Clovis and possibly pre-Clovis artifacts.  Here,
early humans were coming to ancient chert quarries, making rudimentary
knives and other tools.  Recent evidence found by the team lead by Dr. Al
Goodyear may support the idea that a comet suddenly wiped out the Clovis
Culture 13,000 years ago.  World-renowned scientists offer their opinions
about these significant first Americans—where they came from, how they
lived, and what may have been their fate.

 This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.
We urge you to support this public service by participating in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

 Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator