[OR_Archaeology] Volunteer Archaeology Opportunity at Talbot Oregon

Sarah Purdy sepurdy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:20:05 PDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

As you all know, Nancy Nelson, myself, and many great volunteers have been
conducing field investigations at 35MA278, which is located at a private
residence near Talbot, Oregon.  The house is located on a knoll that has
known cultural resources.  The surrounding area is a lowland within the
flood area of the Santiam River.  The site was located during construction
of a wheelchair access ramp into the basement.  Dennis Griffin completed a
site form for the site which defines the site as a possible long term camp
and lithic reduction area.  The landowners have halted construction on the
current project until archaeological testing can be completed.  We have been
working at the site since February, and have cleaned off the south wall to
expose a well defined possible oven or hearth feature.  We have also found
that the most concentration of artifacts appears to be between 140 - 160
cmbs.

We have already received a number of volunteers for fieldwork, analyses, and
report write-up; however, we are trying to reach out to the rest of the
archaeological community in Oregon to get a few more fieldwork volunteers.
We need volunteers for April 10, 16, and 18. If you have any interest in
volunteering for any aspect of this project please contact myself or Nancy
(See below).

Contact Information:

 Nancy J. Nelson, M.A., R.P.A.
State Parks Archaeologist
Oregon State Parks & Recreation Department
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301-1266
Office: (503) 986-0578
nancy.nelson at state.or.us