[OR_Archaeology] RI Archaeological Site Featured in 4-7-10 NY Times

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Wed Apr 7 12:23:25 PDT 2010

Below is a link to an interesting article in the NY Times about archaeology and modern development in Rhode Island and the ensuing complex struggle.

The article is also attached if you cannot follow the link.

It's also a great opportunity to read and start a discussion (hint, hint) about our challenges, struggles, accomplishments, and disappointments here in Oregon.....

Take care, Susan

NEWS  RI Archaeological Site Featured in Today's NY Times

4/7/2010

Today's New York Times reports on the controversy surrounding the Salt
Pond  archaeological site in Narragansett.  The RIHPHC is trying to save
the 900 year-old Indian Village site from development as a housing
subdivision.  RIHPHC is represented by the Office of the Attorney
General, and we have informed the Narragansett Indian Tribe about our
efforts.

The RI Coastal Resources Management Council will begin hearings on the
project next month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/realestate/commercial/07indian.html?
scp=1&sq=salt%20pond&st=cse

A copy of the New York Times article is attached.

For more information about RIHPHC programs, please visit our web site at
www.preservation.ri.gov.

Edward F. Sanderson, Executive Director
RI Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission The Old State House 150
Benefit Street Providence, RI  02903 Tel 401-222-4130  Fax 401-222-2968

esanderson at preservation.ri.gov
www.preservation.ri.gov
 <<10-04-06 Salt Pond Site - NY Times.doc>>

---
You are currently subscribed to ncshpo-listserv as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C