[OR_Archaeology] TAC Festival starts May 18 in Eugene

RPettigrew at aol.com RPettigrew at aol.com
Wed May 12 17:43:04 PDT 2010

Only six days to go!  TAC Festival 2010 runs from Tuesday, May  18, through
Saturday, May 22.  Please participate in this event and share  this
information throughout your networks.  The best form of promotion is  word of
mouth, so if you feel that this event is worth keeping, tell people  about it and
ask them to do the same.  We do newspaper ads and TV spots and  so forth,
but by themselves they won’t do the job.  Here are some key  pieces of
information about the Festival:

Egyptian sailing ships!  Stone Age artists!  Lost empires!   All this and
more will thrill the audience as the top films in the world compete  during
The Archaeology Channel International Film and  Video Festival, opening May
18th at the Hult Center in Eugene, Oregon.

TAC Festival is the only juried competition for cultural heritage films in
the Western Hemisphere.  The five-day event celebrates the wonders of human
 diversity with award-winning films from around the world.  Topics that
range from archaeology and ancient cultures to indigenous peoples and their
environments will come alive with historic re-enactments, powerful
storytelling  and amazing digital effects.

Producers from 32 countries submitted 100 entries for this year’s seventh
season.  The top 19 films, from leading film producers worldwide, will be
shown on the big screen at the Soreng Theater in the Hult Center for the
Performing Arts in downtown Eugene, from May 18 through May 22.  These  films
will cover topics such as megalith sites in the British Isles, an ancient
Egyptian sailing ship, journeys to sacred waterfalls in the Amazon, the
mystery  of what killed the megafauna, exquisite cave art, and more. Seven of the
competing films already have won awards at international film festivals,
including the student competition at Cannes.  Two others have been honored
at other international competitions and four films will be premiered at our
Festival.

The Keynote Speaker this year will be Dr. Jon Erlandson, the North American
 archaeologist who is the chief proponent of the Kelp Highway hypothesis on
the  peopling of the Americas.  After decades of research, Dr. Erlandson
has  explored topics ranging from the First Americans to the history of
seafaring.  He is currently the Director of the Museum of Natural and  Cultural
History at the University of Oregon.

Tickets are available from the Hult Center (541-682-500).

>From the banner at the top of the TAC Home Page at
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/_ (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/) ,  you can download our
30-second (and very cool) promo video as well as our PDF  flyer and share
these with your friends.  There on the Home Page also you  can see our TAC
Festival 2010 Preview video, with clips of all the films.

For a complete list of films (with film clips to watch), ticket prices, the
 schedule, and more information, log on to
_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml_
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml) .   There you also will
find a link (“Download our Program Grid”) for downloading  the complete layout
of the times and places for all the events and films.   Respond by e-mail
here if you have questions.

We hope to see you there!  Thanks very much.

Rick

Richard M.  (Rick) Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive  Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
4147 E. Amazon Dr.
Eugene, OR  97405