[OR_Archaeology] KULONGOSKI APPOINTS a HISTORIC PRESERVATIONIST TO OREGON CULTURAL TRUST BOARD

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Tue Jun 22 13:12:30 PDT 2010

Just a heads up for anyone considering applying for grants with the
Oregon Cultural Trust. We now have a hist pres on the board, yeah!

KULONGOSKI APPOINTS JOHN TESS TO OREGON CULTURAL TRUST BOARD
Governor Ted Kulongoski has appointed John Tess, president of
Portland’s Heritage Consulting Group to a four year term on the
Oregon Cultural Trust board.  His appointment completes the expansion of
the Trust board, from nine to 13, a strengthening of the board that was
approved in the 2009 legislative session.  The Trust board now consists
of 11 citizens appointed by the Governor, and one member each appointed
by the president of the Senate and the speaker of the House.

Trust board Chair Norman Smith commented, “We are fortunate to have
an expert of John Tess’s national standing join the Trust board.  His
deep knowledge and broad contacts will strengthen our commitment to meet
the needs of Oregon’s historic preservation, heritage and humanities
and arts nonprofits.”

John Tess is a nationally recognized expert on historic preservation
issues. As the founder and president of Heritage Consulting Group, Tess
advises clients on preservation issues, helps property owners secure
local, state and federal historic preservation tax credits, prepares
National Register of Historic Places nominations and advocates for
historic preservation legislation.  Nationwide, his firm has worked on
more than 250 National Register nominations and, in Portland, has been
involved in nearly every major preservation project.

He explains his interest in joining the Trust board, “As a reflection
of Oregonians’ way of life, Oregon’s built environment plays a key
role in our cultural heritage.  The Oregon Cultural Trust plays a vital
role in enhancing awareness and preservation of our built environment,
history and way of life.  Joining the Trust board is a welcome
extension
of my life’s work in historic preservation.”

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C