[OR_Archaeology] TAC features long-established Fitzwilliam Museum

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:52:08 PDT 2010

Please excuse the necessity of cross-posting.

Friends and colleagues: In this day of instant information and the
widespread use of search engines, some might regard museums as quaint
vestiges of a former era.  However, museum collections hold the potential to
tell wonderful stories and to link us to the past in uniquely tangible ways,
as demonstrated by *Treasures of the Fitzwilliam Museum*, the latest video
feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology Channel*(
http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

The Fitzwilliam Museum, founded in 1816, is part of Cambridge University,
one of the world’s oldest universities, and houses a world-class collection
of art and antiquities.  In this film we uncover the secrets of four of its
most precious objects: Titian’s great, late masterpiece, Tarquin and
Lucretia; the 3000-year old coffins of an Egyptian temple official; a rare
13th Century Gothic manuscript that once belonged to the sister of Louis IX
of France; and the haunting impressionist masterpiece, Two Women at a Café,
by Degas.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator