[OR_Archaeology] SHPO Archaeology Library Research

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Thu Jul 8 19:04:39 PDT 2010

To all archaeologists who conduct or will be conducting research at the SHPO Archaeology library/records;

Over the past two years Oregon SHPO Archaeology staff have been providing free training sessions for researchers on how to access and utilize the SHPO Archaeological Inventory Database. During 2009 we offered the training sessions twice monthly and from April 2010 to November 2010 we have been offering training once per month (see attached information flyer).

Most of the recent researcher training sessions had to be canceled due to low attendance (i.e., 2 or less researchers having registered). This low attendance would indicate to our office that all researchers who would need to conduct research have already attended past training sessions.

Therefore we will be requiring that researchers, as of January 1, 2011, to have attended a training session as a prerequisite to conducting research at SHPO Archaeology Library.

(I had alluded to this prerequisite to be a requirement for all researchers in the near future in my e-mail notice of scheduled researcher training dates for 2010 on March 11, 2010)

This prerequisite of researcher training attendance is to help reduce the time and effort SHPO Archaeology staff currently dedicate to both introducing to and guiding new researchers through the library's computerized database.  Naturally we would rather dedicate that same time to conducting reviews of projects and reports, as well as answering phone calls and e-mails.

There are still four scheduled researcher training sessions before the end of this year, specifically--

August 19, 2010                        (last day to register August 6th)
September 9, 2010                  (last day to register September 3rd)
October 14, 2010                     (last day to register October 8th)
November 4, 2010                  (last day to register October 29th)

(also see attached information flyer)

In consideration of the recent past months' low attendance we are now listing a "last day to register" date so that if the minimum # of attendees registered is not obtained, we can inform those already registered of the class cancellation in ample time for both them and SHPO staff to be able to make other plans for that day.

The maximum # of people for training sessions is 8 and the minimum # is 3.

After the November 4th session we will be conducting researcher training on a "as needs" basis. This means that after January 1, 2011, we will not schedule another researcher training until there is at least 3-8 researchers notifying SHPO that they desire to attend a training session. Understandably, there will be no researcher training in December since it is difficult for staff to schedule with the Holidays and office coverage.

If you would like to schedule yourself, or a member of your staff, for the remaining scheduled training sessions for 2010, please e-mail me directly. Please be sure to attach a copy (.pdf or .doc) of your recent CV/ Resume to verify that you are qualified to conduct archaeological research, as per SHPO Records Research Policy (see attached researcher policy info sheet).

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. Thank you all for your attendance and enthusiasm towards our past researcher training sessions and we look forward to providing future training sessions on a "as needs" basis.

Thank you for your time and patience on our behalf, Susan Lynn White

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C