[OR_Archaeology] TAC features French fur-trade fort in Michigan

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:51:49 PDT 2010

Friends and colleagues: Engaging the public in an archaeological project
requires some stimulation of the imagination.  As an example, the field
school team at Fort St. Joseph in western Michigan take the public back to
French colonial times in *Making the Past Come Alive: Public Archaeology at
Fort St. Joseph*, the latest video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media
Web site, The Archaeology Channel (http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

Fort St. Joseph, begun as a French Jesuit mission in the 1680s, was one of
the earliest European settlements in the western Great Lakes and an
important link among the remote settlements of New France.  For almost 80
years, French priests, enlisted men, and traders lived here closely with the
native Potowatomi and Miami.  After 1781, the fort eventually eroded away
and its location was forgotten until its relocation by the Western Michigan
University field School.  WMU now carries out a very active public
archaeology program at the site.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator