[OR_Archaeology] FW: Discovering Our Story Television Launch!

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Wed Sep 8 09:53:59 PDT 2010

FYI for those interested, Susan

Subject: Important Announcement for the Native Community
Greetings friends,
Please help celebrate by tuning in to the launch of Discovering Our Story, a Native television program focusing on issues concerning our community and members. Below is an official invitation with links that will allow you to explore our websites and upcoming projects. Please pass the news along!

In peace,
Emily K. Olson
Community Outreach Coordinator
Wisdom of the Elders

Discovering Our Story Television Launch!
www.discoveringourstory.org      <http://www.discoveringourstory.org/>

The public is invited to view the upcoming new Native American television series, Discovering Our Story Television Program. This series airs starting on Sunday, September 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM on Comcast Channel 11 in Portland, OR. New shows will be aired the first Sunday of every month, and eventually available for online viewing.

This television series was created because Native Americans and their history have been misinterpreted and misrepresented in the media. Hollywood, including popular Disney films like Pocahontas and Peter Pan, continues to perpetuate false images of Indians as threatening aggressors, alcoholics, dying or 'vanishing' Indians, or passive, wise sages. They rarely portray Native Americans as being a part of healthy and resilient multi-generational families. This has created confusing, negative impressions in the minds of Native Americans and others.

In response, an increasing number of Native American films and documentaries have been produced that accurately and authentically tell tribal stories and oral histories. This helps to strengthen the identity and resiliency of Native peoples and increase pride in their rich tribal heritage. It will also provide public audiences with unprecedented access to and knowledge of authentic and diverse history and cultural arts of tribes, and strengthen their understanding and appreciation for today's First Peoples.

The creators of Discovering Our Story Television Program want Portland's Native American community to have a similar opportunity. Wisdom of the Elders, Inc. (WISDOM) and several teams of volunteers will produce the one-hour cable television programs at Portland Community Media TV. Funding by Multnomah County's Mt. Hood Cable Regulatory Commission and Spirit Mountain Community Fund provides opportunities for multi- generational Native teams to train as volunteers in videography, post-production editing, and television studio production.

Each Discovering Our Story Television Program will feature program hosts airing video recordings of local and regional elders, storytellers, and cultural leaders, and leading a discussion with special guests from the Native community. Programs will be rebroadcast the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 10 pm on Comcast ch 22 and the third Friday of the month at 9 am on Comcast channel 23 (Portland, Oregon).

WISDOM is a Portland area 501(c)(3) non profit corporation that is committed to Native American cultural preservation, education, and race reconciliation. Our projects include Wisdom of the Elders Radio Program, k-12 curriculum materials, and the Northwest Indian Storytellers Association which sponsors annual storytelling festivals. For more info or to volunteer, e-mail emily at wisdomoftheelders.org<mailto:emily at wisdomoftheelders.org>.

We invite you to learn more about WISDOM'S history and mission statement through this brief and and informative video clip:
http://blip.tv/file/4012974

For project updates, resources, and show content, please visit www.wisdomoftheelders.org<http://www.wisdomoftheelders.org/>

Dogidinh ("thank you" in Deg Hit'an Dine)

Rose

Rose High Bear (Deg Hit'an Dine)
Executive Producer
Wisdom of the Elders, Inc.