[OR_Archaeology] Fwd: new volunteer opportunity for State Parks Youth Ambassador

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Fri Sep 24 15:33:26 PDT 2010

For the younger archaeologists and those with children that might be interested...

Susan Lynn White, RPA
Asst. State Archaeologist
Oregon SHPO
725 Summer St NE, Suite C
Salem, Oregon 97301
503-986-0675 office
503-986-0793 fax
Susan.White at state.or.us

Visit our web page at
http://www.oregonheritage.org/OPRD/HCD/ARCH/index.shtml

>>> Jill Nishball 9/24/2010 3:29 PM >>>
Howdy All-
I just wanted to share with you a new and unique volunteer opportunity for a young person to serve as Youth Ambassador for Oregon State Parks!  If you know of someone between the ages of 16-26 who would be a great representative for our agency in sharing their outdoor adventures and recreational pursuits in our parks with others, please tell them about this.

In the coming year, this young person will be part of a larger network of youth representatives from the other 49 state parks systems across the nation to document and share their perceptions and experiences in the great outdoors.  They will use donated cameras from Olympus to take photos and HD videos and to creatively raise awareness about America's State Parks.

Oregon's selected Ambassador will use photos, video journals, blogs, newletter articles, and social media outlets to spread the word about the fabulous natural, cultural, recreational and wellness values that are inherent in Oregon's special places.  The Youth Ambassador will feature many different types of environments around Oregon, showcasing the real variety of park sites, opportunities for recreational and interpretive activities, learning and just plain crazy fun!

Tim has asked me to find a great young person for this by early October, so I'm asking for your help in getting the word out.  If you know someone who would be interested and has the ability to travel fairly freely around the state, please have them contact me for an application.  A flyer is attached for you to help distribute if you know of some teen groups, college students, or smaller community park districts where recruiting might be effective.  They can also go to the volunteer portion of our website where this opportunity is now a featured story at: http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/VOL/index.shtml

I appreciate your help!
Jill

Jill Nishball, CVA
Volunteer Services Coordinator
Oregon Parks & Recreation Dept.
725 Summer St. NE, Suite C
Salem, OR  97301-1271
phone:  503/986-0752
fax:  503/986-0792
Volunteer Hotline:  877/225-9803
jill.nishball at state.or.us
http://egov.oregon.gov/OPRD/VOL/index.shtml

Always keep in mind:
" Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."