[OR_Archaeology] TAC Festival 2011 speaker Dr. Tom King to appear in Discovery TV special

RPettigrew at aol.com RPettigrew at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 10:38:03 PST 2010

To friends of TAC Festival: Although the 2011 edition of The  Archaeology
Channel International Film and Video Festival
(_http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml)  does_
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml)%20does)  not happen until May 24-28, 2011, we have
a special announcement  to make about it.

We are pleased to let you know that the Keynote Speaker for TAC Festival
2011 will be Dr. Tom King, chief archaeologist in the modern search for
Amelia  Earhart.  Our venue this year will be the Recital Hall of The Shedd
Institute in downtown Eugene.  In this new and more intimate  setting, in the
evening of Friday, May 27, Dr. King will speak on  "Finding Amelia Earhart
with Archaeology."  Although he has spoken about  his Amelia Earhart research
in many places around the United States, this will  be his first speaking
engagement on that subject in Oregon.

Dr. King (Ph.D., UC Riverside) is Senior Archaeologist with The Historic
Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), particularly involved in
research  focusing on the 1937 disappearance of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart
(See _www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html_
(http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html) ).   His co-authored book, Amelia Earhart’s
Shoes (Altamira Press) recounts  TIGHAR’s adventures in pursuit of Earhart
through 2004; since publication of  Shoes, King has directed two more field
sessions (in 2007 and 2010) at  the Seven Site on Nikumaroro, the island in the
Republic of Kiribati where  TIGHAR hypothesizes that Earhart died.  Based on
historical data and  archaeological findings, King’s 2009 Novel, Thirteen
Bones (Dog Ear  Publications), imagines the documented 1940 discovery of
human remains that very  likely were Earhart’s on Nikumaroro, from the point of
view of the Pacific  islanders who found them.  TIGHAR’s work on Nikumaroro
is the subject of a  Discovery Channel special, “Finding Amelia,” scheduled
to air on Discovery on  Saturday, December 11, 2010, at 5 and 8 pm PST.

We recommend that you watch that Discovery special and see how Dr.  King
and his group have come very close to solving the mystery of Amelia  Earhart's
disappearance.  Tickets soon will go on sale for TAC Festival  2011 and we
will keep you advised.

Rick Pettigrew, Director
The Archaeology Channel International Film and  Video Festival

Richard M.  (Rick) Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive  Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
4147 E. Amazon Dr.
Eugene, OR  97405