[OR_Archaeology] Fw: Cultural Resource Protection Summit IV

hulrich at blm.gov hulrich at blm.gov
Tue Apr 12 14:40:29 PDT 2011

Below is information and a link to an exciting upcoming summit in
Washington State.  Check it out!

Heather Ulrich
District Archaeologist
Bureau of Land Management

Salem District Office         Eugene District Office
1717 Fabry Rd. SE                   P.O. Box 10226
Salem, OR 97306               Eugene, OR 97440
(503) 315-5986                (541) 683-6425
----- Forwarded by Heather Ulrich/SAFO/OR/BLM/DOI on 04/12/2011 02:38 PM
-----

             Mary Rossi
             <mkrossi at eppardvi
             sion.org>                                                  To
                                       Nancy.Nelson at state.or.us,
             04/06/2011 03:59          eirik.thorsgard at grandronde.org,
             PM                        Sarah.Purdy at state.or.us,
                                       Heather_Ulrich at blm.gov,
                                       connolly at uoregon.edu
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Cultural Resource Protection Summit
                                       IV-please post

Dear AOA Executive Board,

My name is Mary Rossi, and I work in Bellingham, WA, for APT-Applied
Preservation Technologies (APT), a nonprofit program offering cultural
resource consulting and educational services to clients including
developers, government agencies, tribes, and private citizens.  I am also
serving my fourth year on the Board of the Association for Washington
Archaeology (AWA).

APT is part of a team hosting an annual regional conference called the
Cultural Resource Protection Summit.  Our primary goal in organizing the
Summit is to facilitate amongst all affected parties an open, frank
discussion about the intersection between cultural resources and land use.
The Summit is designed to promote collaborative cultural resource planning
as an effective means of finding resolution to issues before they escalate
into emotionally-charged, divisive, and expensive stalemates or law suits.
We would like to invite AOA to join the conversation.

This year’s Summit (the fourth annual) will be held May 23-24 at the
Suquamish Tribe’s Kiana Lodge near Poulsbo with a theme of "Doing More With
Less: Strategic Action in an Era of Competing Resources.”  The Summit
website, including draft agenda, is at
http://www.theleadershipseries.info/summithome.html  Attendees at past
Summits have included tribal representatives (Tribal Historic Preservation
Officers, cultural resource staff, museum staff, and Council members),
government agencies (federal, state, and local), cultural resource
professionals (archaeologists, anthropologists, and historians),
developers, planners, lawmakers, preservation organizations, educators,
lawyers, and the public.

Assuming the Summit is of interest, would it be possible to broadcast the
event information to your members and/or post a link to the Summit website
on the your website?  We would greatly appreciate any assistance you are
willing/able to offer in reaching your members.

Thank you very much for your consideration, and please let me know if you
have any questions.

PS-I will be doing a presentation on the Summit at the NWAC later this
month if you'd like to learn more.

Mary Rossi, M.A.
Program Director
APT-Applied Preservation Technologies
A program of the nonprofit Eppard Vision
360.920.8908