[OR_Archaeology] ALI launches Kickstarter campaign for Civic Stadium film

RPettigrew at aol.com RPettigrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 16:50:19 PDT 2011

To our friends in Oregon archaeology:

Tonight the Eugene 4J School Board will make a key decision that could
decide the fate of Eugene’s historic Civic Stadium.  Whatever that decision
turns out to be, ALI intends to make a documentary film about Civic so that
future generations will know what we had.  We have launched a Kickstarter
campaign
(_http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620684417/civic-stadium-what-we-had?ref=live_
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620684417/civic-stadium-what-we-had?ref=live) )   to fund this project and we are looking to
spread the word on that to all those  who may want to see this effort move
forward.

That’s the short version.  Read on for more details.

In the summer of 2009, we organized a team of 11 videographers and other
volunteers to capture on film the last season of baseball at Civic  Stadium.
During that time, we shot nearly 20 hours of footage.   Images and sounds
from 2009 includes many interviews with fans, players,  coaches, and owners
as well as documentation of the multiplicity of  baseball-related game-night
sights and sounds in every part of the stadium,  including the hand-operated
scoreboard.  Documentation includes  never-before-revealed inscriptions and
graffiti from past decades on the walls  and benches within the player and
umpire locker rooms and the food-preparation  area.  We expect to have
access to additional hours of footage shot by  others that season as well as
archival footage, recordings and stills,  interviews with those remembering
years gone by, images of other stadiums from  other places and times, and
historical images of Eugene.  Using these  resources, we intend to tell a story
that puts the inanimate structure of the  stadium into a meaningful human
context.  We want to capture the meaning of  this place for this community and
put it out there for the world to see.   People in other communities will
recognize the relevance of this story for their  own efforts to protect
cultural legacy.

Our Director for the film is Teal Greyhavens, a talented young film-maker
currently living in Los Angeles who went to South Eugene High School and has
a  strong personal attachment to the stadium.  Our nonprofit organization,
Archaeological Legacy Institute, based here in Eugene, for 11 years has
been  dedicated to using media to tell stories about the human cultural
heritage.  For us, the story of Civic Stadium and its place in our  community is
just as important in its own way as the story of Stonehenge or the  Roman
Colosseum.

It will take us about a year to complete the film, a one-hour program
suitable for broadcast on Oregon Public Broadcasting.  We plan for its  screen
debut to be in Civic Stadium in front of the home crowd, then distribute  it
on cable TV, online, and on DVD for the largest possible audience to see it
and to keep it in circulation forever.

Our Kickstarter campaign is posted at
_http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620684417/civic-stadium-what-we-had?ref=live_
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620684417/civic-stadium-what-we-had?ref=live) .   Take a look.  We
have a short trailer video there as a sample for you to  see.  We have until
July 1 to raise $50,000 in pledges.  If we don’t  reach our funding goal by
that time, just 30 days from now, nobody pays  anything.  But if we
succeed, those who step up and make a pledge (even  just one dollar) will have made
it possible for us to memorialize a place  beloved by thousands and whose
loss we will mourn, but whose rescue we may have  a chance to celebrate.

Please share this will all those you know who may be interested.   Thank
you.

Rick Pettigrew

Richard M. (Rick) Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive  Director