[OR_Archaeology] AOA Occasional Papers Volume 10

Sarah Purdy sepurdy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:31:31 PDT 2011

Hello,

This is a final reminder to send us contributing paper topics or the next
AOA volume, the abstract of which can be found below.  To date we have
eleven fine looking contributions ranging from ethnohistoric analyses, the
fur trade, trail exploration, early EuroAmerican settlement, commerce, and
the gold rush.

We are going to finalize the list of contributors by August 17.  For those
contributing, final drafts of the papers will be due in the Spring of 2012.

Thank you, and we hope your summers are going well.

Mark Tveskov and Chelsea Rose, SOU Laboratory of Anthropology

Title and Abstract

Tales from the Oregon Territory (1848-1859)
AOA Occasional Paper #10
Editors: Chelsea Rose and Mark Tveskov,
Southern Oregon University Laboratory of Anthropology

This volume will focus on individuals, groups, and events
significant to Oregon’s transformation from a contested landscape to
fledgling statehood.  We invite scholars to use this opportunity to present
fine-grained empirical work into this dynamic and decisive decade through
the use of archaeological, historical, and ethnohistorical data.  How did
various parties negotiate their identity and purpose in this frontier
moment? How did material culture or the natural landscape fit into this
negotiation? How do these historical events resonate in the present day to
both scholars and a broader public?  How does research into this decade fit
into applied or community historical and archaeological efforts?
Contributions will cover a variety of aspects of this transformation,
including the fur trade, American settlement, agricultural and industrial
practice, the experience of Indigenous people, the Gold Rush, exploration
and transportation, and warfare.

--
Mark Tveskov, PhD

Associate Professor of Anthropology