[OR_Archaeology] Classes in early living skills

Leland Gilsen lelandgilsen at msn.com
Sun Sep 18 09:28:35 PDT 2011

If you want to participate or learn from the best stone workers (knappers) in the country, you should consider visiting or participating in these western area events:

Backtracks (Rabbitstick and Wintercount): http://www.backtracks.net/

Buckeye: http://www.buckeyegathering.net/joomla/

and echoes-in-time listed below

Lists of typical classes can be found on the echoes web page. It is one thing to excavate a dart point, it is another to make one, or make an atlatl and your own darts and throw them (same goes for bows and arrows: shooting). Echoes has a sanctioned international atlatl contest. I recently learned how to make a micro-drills using materials and methods from the Cahokia area from Larry Kinsella. One of the best knappers in the states, Goode Jones, lives here in Salem. His hands are rapidly being hit by arthritis, so learn from him now. He can still knapp with the best using his body... a technique he has developed over the years. He has taught knapping to archaeologists working on neanderthal digs in France... where he volunteered. Another well known knapper is Ron Macy, who lives in the Eugene area.

Most of the "debitage" found in sites were probably used as expedient tools. As Goode Jones points out, a biface should be looked at as a convenient, easy to carry (and store in a bag) source for flake tools used for a quick need and tossed aside. As it gets exhausted, it can then be turned into a tool, such as a knife, point, drill. etc. And if you want a tough tool, look towards the glassy basalts.

Dr. Leland Gilsen
www.oregon-archaeology.com
www.echoes-in-time.com

"My glass is neither half full nor half empty because it has a head of quantum foam." (2009 Leland Gilsen)

"My glass is empty, could I have another please?" (2010 Dale Coleman)

"All the best ideas are at the bottom of a beer can." (Jim Riggs)

"My glass is opaque and I'm not sure what's in it
        nor how much is left -- but I intend to find out." (2011 Bob
        Zybach)