[OR_Archaeology] 2012 Cultural Resource Protection Summit: First Draft Agenda Posted - Registration is now open!

John Pouley john.pouley at state.or.us
Thu Mar 8 15:51:28 PST 2012

What’s Our Story?
Reflecting on Resources, Relationships,
and Responsibility

The 2012 Cultural Resource Protection Summit marks the fifth
anniversary of our gathering. Since its inception, the primary goal in
organizing the annual Summit has been to facilitate amongst all affected
parties an open, frank discussion about the intersection between
cultural resources and land use. The Summit is designed to promote
collaborative cultural resource planning as an effective means of
finding resolution to issues before they escalate into
emotionally-charged, divisive, and expensive stalemates or law suits.
What’s our story five years later? Have we learned anything? Have we
improved that way cultural resource protection is carried out in
Washington State? The Pacific Northwest? The United States?

This year, we will highlight three topics that have permeated Summits
past: cultural resources, relationships, and responsibility. What are
cultural resources, what do they tell us about our shared history, and
why should anyone care? Who are our fellow cultural resource advocates,
and how do we establish functional, productive relationships with them?
Whose responsibility is it to protect cultural resources, and how do we
ensure that we all do our part?
Join an experienced slate of practitioners, storytellers, and your
fellow attendees as we examine together the state of cultural resource
protection in our region and identify strategies to achieve our goals.
Leave with more tools for doing your part to protect our cultural
resources and the important stories they tell!OPENING KEYNOTE BY LYNDA
V. MAPES
Join us for a very special keynote address by Lynda V. Mapes, author of
Breaking Ground: The Lower Elwha and the Unearthing of Tse-whit-zen
Village and staff reporter for The Seattle Times.  Ms. Mapes represents
one of our region’s best storytellers and has covered cultural
resource protection issues for many years.  Her address promises to be
both educational and inspirational.
We hope to see you there!
To view the First Draft Agenda:
·         Please Visit: http://www.theleadershipseries.info/agenda.html

To Register (Early Bird Deadline is Sunday, April, 22, 2012):
·         One Day Rate: Early Bird $150, Regular Price: $175
·         Two-Day Rate: Early Bird $245, Regular Price: $295
·         Online Registration Form: Click Here (
http://fs2.formsite.com/darrenj/form967006806/index.html )
Meeting Location: The Kiana Lodge
·         14967 Sandy Hook Rd. NE/Poulsbo WA 98370
Phone: (206) 282-4633 - Web: http://www.kianalodge.com
Make sure to book your room by: Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Questions for the Planning Committee?

·         Mary Rossi: mkrossi at eppardvision.org or
·         Steve Kinley: skinley777 at aol.com

* CM credits for Planners will be applied for in cooperation with the
Planning Association of Washington (PAW). ( http://www.planningpaw.org/
)
 ( http://www.planningpaw.org/ )

John O. Pouley